Friday 18 May 2012

A wash out

It's pouring outside and I think we may be to blame. After a month of warm, sunny weather, we decided the house had dried out enough to paint the exterior. As I've mentioned before, our poor Bodrum home has been neglected for over 12 years and was in need of an update. The inside has been finished for a couple of months but we put off having the outside done in case it rained.  The ladders went up two days ago and just as the last brush strokes went on, the heavens opened.  Luckily, the new fangled paint available these days in Bodrum stayed put and didn't dissolve into a white lake as the old fashioned whitewash would have done.  We went to bed listening to the wind, rain and thunder, happy that the roof was water-tight and our expensive paint was where it should be.  I was woken at 4 am by hubby asking me why the kitchen floor was wet. (He obviously has some in-built sensor that wakes him when any untoward damp action is in progress).  I had no idea and, at that hour, couldn't have cared less. My daughter was similarly unimpressed at being woken to be asked this question. The rugs were busily soaking up the excess so, after denying that I'd been indulging in late night sloppy floor cleaning (as if), I went back to sleep. The next morning the guilty party was unmasked.  The painter had taken off the gutter pipes before painting and hadn't had time to put them back on. Water had run down the wall and managed to find the gas bottle pipe entrance into the kitchen. If I'd attempted to get water to fall down a sheer wall and pour through a 1 cm diameter hole, almost completely blocked up with a rubber tube, what would the odds have been on success?  I've now lost count of the number of places water has appeared where it shouldn't be this year. Surely this has to be the last time.
In retrospect, I don't know why we didn't wait to paint.  The tourist season always used to start in mid-May and no matter how nice the weather was in April for all visiting friends and family, a good downpour could usually be guaranteed for paying guests. Never underestimate Sod's law where the weather is concerned.





http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/Sod-s-Law

11 comments:

  1. What a relief that paint was used, rather than whitewash...what a mess that would have been. Shame about the flooded kitchen though.

    I don't mind this rain, it gives the gardens a good soak, but it's actually quite chilly isn't it? I've had to put the quilt back on the bed, something I wouldn't normally expect to do at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our heating on too. First time in two months.

      Delete
  2. Hope the clear up didn't take too long. After a few lovely days here in the Aude, 8 visitors ( 2 daughters, one son in law to be, 3 friends, 2 grandchildren) arrive today.....sod's law.....cold, windy and very likely to pour with rain. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gave the carpets a good soak . Luckily the sun was out the next day.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness the paint was OK, BtoB, but you could have done without the water in the kitchen. :-( We have the same weather here in Wales and it's SO cold for May that we're still using the winterweight bedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the weather perks up next week. I 'm heading your way.

      Delete
  4. In the face of a water related-disaster in our Cambridge home, my neighbor's response: "Water will win." Please accept our sincere sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll have that saying engraved on my front door.

      Delete
  5. '. . normal!' That's what those little drain-holes in the floor are for - letting the water in - and letting the water out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hole was half way un the wall and unfortunately we don't have any drain holes in the floor. Obviously a design fault.

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean with the rain - we had our fair share here in England too - let's hope the sunshines soon! Enjoy Bodrum :)

    ReplyDelete