Monday 30 March 2015

Itchy Feet

I've got itchy feet and it's not the sort of irritation that can be cured by a trip to the pharmacy.  The affliction started about 10 days ago in the Chamber of Commerce lecture hall while listening to a talk by Altay Özcan, co-author of the Carian Trail guide.  I'd gone along hoping to pick up some tips on how not to get lost while following this new route, although I know that "forgetting to take the guide book with us" is the main reason we find ourselves up a hill in a thicket on most of our rambles.  It seems that we are not the only ones, as Altay willingly admitting that they too found themselves stuck in impenetrable brambles on many occasions in the production of the book. Accompanied by beautiful photographs, he lead us on a virtual walk along the whole 800+ kms of the Carian Trail.  By avoiding big towns and touristic areas, he took me back to the Turkey I remember from the 1980s. Stretches of blue sea bordered by craggy rocks, ancient temples and nobody apart from the odd goat herd. It is so heartening that these wild places are still there for those willing to make the effort. However,  this route is no walk in the park. It's a serious trail that needs proper equipment, preparation  and a good degree of stamina. Sadly I don't think I have the endurance to complete long hikes  but hope to to cherry pick some flattish sections with access to a dog friendly pension nearby.  Once this wet winter has dried out and before the summer sun gets too ferocious, I'm looking forward to heading North, South or East in search of the wild places.



19 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful Annie. I must pass the link on to my friends. I have three different groups walking the Camino or parts of it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can get an idea of the routes from the web site.

      Delete
  2. looks like the distributors may have got their act together - we tried to buy this when it first came out and got nowhere. Contacted Dean Livesey via Jane Akatay and got a zilch response. Having these guides is essential - we have and use all of Kate Clow's books and like you, need to stick with the less arduous bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard this comment from several others too.

      Delete
  3. I have to have this guide, but as you said not for long hikes but just to find interesting places..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are also ideally placed to do some of the day walks.

      Delete
  4. Annie, It just turns out that I have that book and haven't given it much of a tumble up until now. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the enclosed map was more detailed. It is a bit vague.

      Delete
  5. I'd need a flat bit too. I remember Liam and I walking a few metres of the Lycian Way on our honeymoon looking for a bar. No joy, I'm afraid ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could probably drop you off in Yalı Çiftlik and you could walk a few hundred meters and fınd a bar. You could at least say you'd set foot on the Carian Trail

      Delete
  6. Here's hoping you find enough flatish bits to enjoy..sounds so lovely. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to get the dubbing out cos its still raining.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful idea, will look out for this guide, my son will greatly enjoy it too I think, many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading an early Patrick Leigh Fermor book all about his travels in Greece and esp Crete - sounds just like this and just like you, I am all fired up to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading the first part of his trek from London to Istanbul - I love his prose.

      Delete
  9. Enjoy!

    I think a lot of us are suffering cabin fever after a protracted rainy season...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that sounds like an excellent plan, Annie. I hope you can sort out some suitable sections to visit before the summer heat arrives. I'm no walker (dodgy feet), but love hearing about those who are.

    ReplyDelete