Monday 15 June 2015

Jeff Koons in Hydra Harbour



Well not Mr. Koons himself, but his eye-confusing art work that decorates the hull of contemporary art collector, Dakis Joannou's yacht, Guilty. Describing his unusual vessel, Mr Joannou is quoted saying "We did what we wanted; style was irrelevant."  If Art is meant to make one look again and ponder, this piece fulfils the criteria. The design takes its inspiration from a WW1 British Naval camouflage technique which aimed to confuse rather than conceal.  I'd like to see Guilty moored in a calm bay as I'm sure the design reflected in  glass-smooth turquoise water would be quite spectacular.


When I first caught sight of this yacht a couple of years ago, I recoiled in horror but as with many of Jeff Koons' pieces,  familiarity is breeding acceptance and the beginnings of admiration.

6 comments:

  1. B to B, i'm very conflicted about this 'art'. I hate graffiti but understand your point about warming up to something that has more depth than that seen at first sight. You'll have to revisit this question in a year and keep us posted about your feelings. A senior dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing. Have you seen the Mersey ferry Snowdrop that recently got a Peter Blake 'dazzle camouflage' paint job to commemorate the artists who painted British ships to mislead the U boats captains 100 years ago. Crazy and colourful - just like Liverpool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not something to look at with a hangover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly eye catching; you are right, would have loved to see it on a turquoise water with nothing else around, what a sight it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, not sure if you got my comment - my laptop is having a couple of 'issues' at the moment.
    What I was saying was, I think I really like this. It's definitely one to challenge the senses and if that is what art is meant to do then this succeeds. :)

    ReplyDelete