Wednesday 21 June 2017

Things that go bump in the night

While Europe boils, we too have been having unseasonable weather - but no one is complaining because it has been cooler than normal and we've had late rain which is a boon for farmers and gardeners. I am neither but have been enjoying the unusual pink clouds that have been floating past the village. 


I wasn't sure how I would cope with living in the middle of nowhere by myself; daytimes are fine and I'm getting used to the solitary evenings.   Jake is not as laid back as I am, he takes fright at every bird that lands in the vines and squirrel that scurries up the pines, so he is frantically barking most of the night.  He probably thinks his name is now 'Shut Up Jake' as that is what he constantly hears from me.  I woke up at 3am a couple of nights ago to a frantic dog and was about to shout at him when I too heard the banging of metal gates.  I knew they were locked, but this sounded like someone attacking them with a battering ram.  Phone in hand, making sure I had the gendarmerie number on speed dial, I turned on the lights and looked out - nothing.  Assuming that the barking and lights had put off any would-be intruder I went to bed and read a book.  I'd just dropped off again when the whole rattling kicked off again and still no one.  It was almost light now so I went outside  and found the culprit. It's amazing that such a small animal, intent on getting through a metal gate, can make so much noise.  I put him out but in the morning he was back inside again so he obviously only knows how to enter, not exit. 
I've named him Theresa May. 








16 comments:

  1. Uncertain bumps in the night must be quite scary when you are alone - a great name for the culprit - I wonder if she will continue for long as the 'come back kid' - methinks her days may be numbered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have now watched her climb through the gate so she doesn't make so much noise.

      Delete
  2. . . so, next the poor creature will have to fall on its sword!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ha ha, phew, was almost worried for you then, for a minute. Nice name for a tortoise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant ... and made me chuckle ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear BB, a wonderful name for a tortoise or turtle as we mostly say here in the states. She came to you in the night and so maybe she's an omen of good things to come. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one 'Strong & Stable' tortoise you've got there - happy ending to your little tale xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So have you adopted Theresa May, or Chairman May as I call her?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant post and brilliant name :) enjoy Bodrum, how I look forward to coming back xxx

    ReplyDelete