Tuesday 15 August 2017

Dance


There are a few places Jake can't go so I will reclaim my blog to take you to the last night of Bodrum's International Ballet Festival.  Before the performance started, I mentally ticked off the 3 places in central Bodrum I have recently watched shows and concerts.
1. The castle theatre, where I was now sitting with a couple of thousand permanent and temporary Bodrum residents - Always atmospheric with the castle walls tastefully illuminated as busy Bodrum harbour life carries on outside.
2. The ancient theatre - Forget the fantastic panoramic view of the castle and town - the notion that bottoms have plonked on the seat under me for over 2000 years to watch theatre and song is enough. I wish the massive speakers would be relegated to history though.
3 The Mausoleum - ideal for a string quartet - if rather removed from its original purpose

The show was Los Vivancos - Born to dance. The talented Spanish brothers, whose Flamenco morphs into tap, martial arts and things I'm too old to know the names of, to a sound track from Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Leonard Cohen, Deep Purple and others who were born after I stopped noticing new music - and gives the audience the rare opportunity to watch and listen to flute and strings being played by musicians suspended upside down.  That these fit young chaps' frequent costume changes involve a lot of bare chests and tight leather trousers may add to their ability to sell out venues world wide, but their brilliant dance routines will fill Bodrum's theatres every time.

There are usually 7 - We were well entertained by 6 
Watch their official trailer here: 



8 comments:

  1. Hmmm! Looks like a high-flutin' mix of fantasy, six-packs, baby oil and leather fetishism. Plus a healthy dose of auto-eroticism ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan's right. Let's keep it in! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus, a faint whiff of burning sulfur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately in Bodrum it's only the burning rubbish tip

      Delete
  4. Dear Annie, sitting where many others have sat for 20 centuries would be enough for me also. When I visited Greece back in 1993, I sat in a theater even older than that and felt chills. Peace.

    ReplyDelete