Sunday 29 April 2012

David Hockney in my Back Yard.




In the winter before my first visit to Turkey, I went to a David Hockney exhibition in Manchester and fell in love with the artist's work, especially the "The Bigger Splash". I'd just spent the summer in Greece and Italy and knew that if I couldn't get to the blue sky and pools of  Los Angeles, the Turquoise of the Aegean would do very nicely. Fifteen years later, when I finally managed to sit by my own blue pool, the image of the Big Splash was never very far away. 


This year we left England just before the Hockney show at the Royal Academy started so, regretfully,  I have only been able to look longingly at the coverage on the computer.  I was especially taken by the above Yorkshire landscape and I think it has replaced the Splash as my favourite. So I might be employing a surfeit of imagination here, but when I went to survey the land just beyond our garden wall, I found that we have the inspiration for another Hockney woodland scene right on our door step.






With a little help from an ipad.

14 comments:

  1. This is brilliant.... so clever. I live near Saltaire when I am in England, and some of his recent Yorkshire work has been displayed there ( before the London show)....it is incredible, and the Salts Mill setting is just perfect for it. I hope you have blown up your i pad art and have it large on a wall somewhere...just brilliant. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I'm so sorry I missed the exhibitions.

      Delete
  2. Another of your hidden talents Annie!! Dave, the lads and I did get to see the latest Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy over Easter and his latest work is just amazing. Look forward to seeing your ipad masterpiece recreated for the summer, autumn and winter seasons!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know who is the real ipad artist. He just let me borrow it for a while.

      Delete
  3. fantastic!!! love your iPad ART!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great fun. I could get hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! What a clever association! Have I missed something? Have you changed your blog format while I wasn't looking? The blue is just great x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No change. Always been Bodrum blue. It's the Hockney effect. Everything looks better when graced with his work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hockney is seriously good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are in 100% agreement on this one Alan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a Hockney exhibit and would love to do so! What a creative post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't know how I missed this one, Annie, maybe it was before I joined you. I love David Hockney - and my mum was at college with him! Like Janice, I used to live very near Salt's Mill and went every Sunday morning, so I was most familiar with his work and love all his different styles. You've really captured something with your ipad too!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coincidence! As you wrote on my blog today and I finally got some free time, I was longing to come and see your blog, and I fell over this entry from earlier in the year, and I wrote about visiting this very Hockney show at the RA on MY blog! One of my offspring is studying at the RA, too, and was lucky enough to get the full preview tour with the artist of what was(sorry you missed it) one of the most inspiring shows I've seen in years! I even bought a teeny print to put on the wall at home!
    Your version is so clever, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a Hockey (poster not an original!) in our living room, from an exhibition of his at the Getty Museum... it's a collage of hundreds of photos. The poster is enticing, but the original we viewed at the Getty was stunning. He has such a varied talent.... and looks like you and your ipad are destined for greatness too! :)

    ReplyDelete