Thursday 31 October 2013

Dad's Beatroot and Apple Bread

An attachment to beetroot must run in my family. My father makes a mean loaf and his favourite recipe is apple and beetroot. I'm in Dorset with my parents for a couple of days so have had a chance to witness the production of this super loaf first hand. The dough looks a bit strange as it's rising; the damp pink is more reminiscent of the butcher's slab than the baker's counter but after 30 minutes in a 180 degree oven the crumb turns a rich gold. If you're looking for a light slice, that stays fresh for 4 days, add a bit of fruit or veg to your usual recipe.

500g strong white flour 
30 g butter
1 packet instant dried yeast (10 g)
1 small apple peeled and grated
Half a tennis ball size beetroot, cooked and grated. 
2 tblsp sugar 
 1 tsp salt  
2 tblsp olive oil 
250 ml warm water 

Rub the butter into the flour and add the rest of the above ingredients. Knead well for an elastic dough and leave in a warm place to double in size. Knock back and allow to rise for a second time, then knock back again, divide in half and put into two well buttered loaf tins. When the dough has risen for the third time, pop the tins straight into the hot oven. I've eaten more bread in the last two days than the last two weeks. It's the saving of my waistline that I'm off to Scotland tomorrow.
Happy Baking

31 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I've given up on my waistline so bring it on. Have a good time in Scotland (for work?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a few days and restricted internet access as usual

      Delete
  2. I haven't made bread for a while now...I'd lost the art...but I'll give this a try - minus apple as i don't have any.
    Enthusiasm rekindled...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back home, this bread looks delicious. Have a lovely time -and I wished we were closer, would have loved to meet up :)
    Ozlem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nearest I get is gatwick for two hours on Wednesday. Not much use i'm afraid

      Delete
  4. Oooh, that does look good....enjoy your visit. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, i'm dashing around a bit 5 flights and two ferries

      Delete
  5. Now that's definitely one for DH who adores beetroot. As soon as I can get some I'll have a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you add more beet you might get pinker bread

      Delete
  6. . . what a bonza idea! Love different breads and that looks a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save a small beet next time you are making salad

      Delete
  7. Interesting recipe. How strange that the pinkness disappears during baking. Enjoy your trip xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cooking is obviously in your genes! Any chance you can swing by Shrewsbury on your way home??? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not. Flying inverness to gatwick then stright on to Athens

      Delete
  9. Cooking is obviously in your genes! Beetroot and bread - what a great combination. Any chance you cook swing by Shrewsbury on your way home?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks wonderful! And have a great time in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never thought of putting those ingredients together.....sure looks delicious.
    Your Dad look so cute baking away...Enjoy your time with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's taken up bread making very recently and is always exprrimenting

      Delete
  12. B to B, What is 'strong white flour'? I love quick breads, beets and pink so I'll bet this will be a winner. Thanks! J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strong flour is bread flour. You can find it in the supermarkets

      Delete
  13. I love what it looks like, it sounds amazing.....but the one food I always tell people I don't eat when they kindly ask when they have invited you round to dinner....is beetroot. I have a real physical hatred of the texture, the smell, the taste....agghhh, even the thought of it worries me. However,I know and understand that I am the loser here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This just bought back memories. When I was a kid, and my brother used to have to babysit me, he used to take me fishing with him, and would pack beetroot sandwiches for us. Trouble was, by the time it was lunch time, the bread had turned into a red soggy mess, so I could only face eating the beetroot. This bread recipe looks fab... going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good. The pink dough is spectacular!
    That photo of your Dad is quite beautiful. Mine is the same vintage and there is something about that same snowy hair and slight stoop that just makes me want to hug him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where is the best place to put the dough to rise

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karen.. Tyne & wear
    My husband found yr recipe and cant stop making it. We're loving it but so is our waistline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy it. It's my late father's recipe so I'm happy that folk are still following his lead.

      Delete
  18. Does he use eating apples or cooking (Bramley) apples?

    ReplyDelete