One of the Turkish bloggers I follow lives in the next village to ours. They live a similar life to us, away from the crowds, enjoying the countryside and the simple life ...until last week. Their beloved black lab/retriever, Carlos, picked up a cheese sandwich spiked with pesticide and was dead before they could do anything about it. The grief at not being able to protect their dog, even though they were walking together, is hard to read. The blog is finished. The poison was probably aimed at foxes raiding chicken coups, but that doesn't make anything better, does it.
Twenty years ago we lost our Alsatian/Anatolian Sheepdog, Brian to poison. Despite arthritic legs he'd taken himself off after a bitch on heat and was poisoned with 6 other dogs outside Mumcular. One reason we had Jake done was to stop him chasing the girls. I couldn't bare to lose another dog in the same way. But how can we keep him safe, if poison is all around. One idea is to make him wear a muzzle when we are out. He hates it, but by giving him treats before and after he wears it, he is just getting accustomed to it. I will have to explain why he's wearing it to everyone we meet as I don't want him to get a reputation as a vicious dog.
If your dog picks up poison it is important to make them sick as soon as possible. I was always told to force yogurt down their throats but our vet says this is the wrong thing to do as the fat in the yogurt accelerates the absorption of the poison into the gut. He suggests 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (Oxsijenli su in Turkish) by mouth. The easiest way to get it into the dog is using a syringe to make swallowing easier. Administer 1 ml for every kilo your dog weighs. This should make your dog vomit. I'm going to take a bottle and syringe on long walks from now on.
I found a good web site http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Dog-to-Vomit which explains in detail.