Tuesday 28 April 2015

Time to think about moving. Turn off the WWW.

The sun has finally come out and temperatures are rising. The streets of Bodrum are getting busier and it's time to think about moving out to the country. But before we can up sticks and abandon urban sophistication for bucolic pleasures, we have to get the house ready. A particularly damp winter has left its mark on the North and East facing interior walls so the annual scrape and paint season has opened.  You'd think after 24 years that we'd have sorted the damp problem but whatever we've tried and however much money we've thrown at the problem, a wet winter always seeps through.  We've now accepted that damp will find its way in and we live with it.  We spent the week-end out in the village and got lots of small and large jobs done. If I want to analyse why we were so much more productive than usual, the answer is a simple two words; 'no internet'.  As long as we don't connect the house up to the addictive World Wide Web, we are busy bees.  A good resolution for the summer would be to have at least two internet-free days a week.  This means no news, no emails, no Skype, no Twitter, no Instagram, no T.V.  and no funny cats. This is a stratagem that is obviously not going to work during Wimbledon, but that apart, if successful, we may even run out of jobs to do.  I have not mentioned this idea to my other half yet, he'll be reading it on the blog like you are.


Whatever is happening indoors, outside is always wonderful. 

17 comments:

  1. Lovely photo Annie, I love the poppies. Not sure I could survive two days a week with no internet, but I could manage to limit the hours to very early morning and late evening. I am still managing q productive week in spite of having www. You'll have to come and drink coffee in my garden :-). I'll make sure the wifi is off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love poppies too. I must take FB etc off my phone. It beeps at me and distracts.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking lovely, Mary. I like the herb wheel. I will certainly come over after I come back from Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a brilliant idea, but I'm not sure my moral fibre is up to it. I do find my internet time is self-limiting in good weather though. It does help that i'm not on Instagram or Skype or TV via the internet. Let us know how you get one... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but you weren't on Facebook until recently. It's a slippery slope.

      Delete
  4. B to B, I envy you being able to surprise your spouse in your blog. Of course, since we're senior dogs (in the plural), if it's my turn to write, he has to sign off on everything we post. Two days a week without internet? That would get M to thinking of brand new projects to do and that could be expensive! Sounds like you had nice weekend with your beautiful poppies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may well not read it as I'm away. He probably only looks at it to humour me.

      Delete
  5. J and I sit each side of the kitchen table - she with her one machine, me with three. She does the same thing to me via email claiming she just wants to get my attention or wants to be noticed now and again (she won't have anything to do with social media) - is this a female thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wimbledon? That's cheating. Double dare ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wimbledon is the Holy Grail in this household

      Delete
  7. I am completely with you BB and salute you for this decision - one needs to enjoy outdoors, the fresh air and this beautiful landscape, lovely idea : ) Ozlem x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so lucky with your country pile even with the annual repairs - simply lovely. As for the internet, what did we do before? Oh, yes, got out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talked ! Now with the blog, everyone thinks they know whet I've been up to.

      Delete
  9. We moved to our summer quarters yesterday... And have had a couple of days too busy for much Internet. We certainly use it less when it's a choice between 'stuck on the computer' and 'enjoy being outside'.

    ReplyDelete