Tuesday 25 July 2017

It's a Dog's Life


My personal chef and walker is questioning my sensitivity. She is telling all who will listen (which isn't many as we are still stuck in the middle of rural nowhere) that she had to wake me up when the 6.6 earthquake hit on Friday morning. She wants to know why I wasn't waking her up with minutes to spare and leading her out of the house, rather than her dragging me out by my collar.  She has shown me cctv footage of street dogs in Bodrum running anxiously around the harbour, quoted 4th century BCE accounts of Greek dogs howling before seismic activity and claims that a whole Japanese town of 90,000 inhabitants was evacuated before a 7.9 quake on the say-so of its animal residents. "Dogs' hearing is so sensitive that they can pick up the sound of the earth moving prior to the destructive convulsion" she says. All I can say is that she better start trimming the hair bunging up my lugholes then.  In my defence, I spend my whole day protecting her from danger.  I bark loudly and frequently at every squirrel, dove, sparrow, bee and hornet that invades my courtyard and all get for my trouble is "Shut up Jake" often accompanied by words too rude to print.  No wonder I was fast asleep in the early hours.

10 comments:

  1. There were no words of warning from Tiddles either..... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Jake. Maybe he's a bit mutton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is interesting the way that animals have a sense danger when we do not - apparently local people recognised a problem brewing before the tsunami struck when they saw animals making their way to higher ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mu Mu didn't stir either Jake ... never mind ... I'm coming to visit tomorrow ... and I may perchance be bringing some of those treats you rather like ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. He does his duty during the day? Surely you don't expect him to lose his beauty sleep too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if a comment will get through this time!
    Poor Jake, having his beauty sleep disturbed by being dragged from the house....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jake, you are perfect in every way - we hope to see you in Bodrum in August!!! Ozlem xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope all is ok...poor Jake. he cant be on duty all the time. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. . . . And those squirrels can be nasty varmints. Excuse me, time for my nap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jake, you have every right to be angry. But try to remember that Annie is just a human and we humans fall so short of understanding life as you and others of your temperament and bearing do. Please continue to protect her. She loves you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete