Friday 7 March 2014

Election Countdown


We are well into the last 4 weeks of campaigning for the local elections. There are two front runners to be the first mayor of the New Bodrum "Big" municipality - both current mayors of Bodrum  and Konacik. All the stops came out on Sunday with parties to celebrate the official openings of their election offices.  Holding the meetings at the same time forced the fence-sitters to choose to be seen at one or the other.

I hope Mehmet Tosun's photo standing in front of the windmills of my last post  suggests he is going to do something to keep them standing. 

Mehmet Kocadon's campaign is backed by before and after  photos of   how Bodrum has changed during the past 5 years 



Bodrum has certainly been spruced up along the seafront and I'm sure that another 5 years will see the sanitisation spread inland.  All the flower beds, marble pavements, outdoor gymnasiums and matching sunshades are fantastic but I do miss the haphazard tattiness of old Bodrum.  I'm feeling churlish even saying this, but the "touristic face" of Bodrum is beginning to resemble the inside of the many shopping malls that are proliferating in Turkey today.   For anyone else missing old times, click and watch the intro of "Leylekli Melek", filmed in Bodrum in 1978 - persevere a few minutes more for some superb 70's macho moustaches and medallioned, hairy chests. 

You Tube -Bodrum 1978 - Leylekli Melek

Photos c/o Eski Bodrum Facebook site





22 comments:

  1. Hello,

    We are in the electioneering mode here in Hungary too. And, like for you, there are so many promises being bandied about and so many insults traded that it becomes impossible to work out who is standing for what.

    We know exactly what you mean about the tidying up. Of course, it is good that essential works are tended to and that important buildings are maintained but, on the other hand, a certain shabbiness is somewhat endearing we find.

    In the ten or so year

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....In the ten or so years we have been in Budapest so much has changed but, in our view, it is not all for the better. Many newly renovated buildings now need a good ten years more to acquire some well needed patina!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budapest always looks so romantic to me - maybe the photos are well chosen

      Delete
  3. I must say that I prefer places that are a bit muddly.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the campaigns here too, needless to say. And whilst I don't think all the concrete and regimented flower beds are changes for the better (we have lost a fair few trees, some, apparently at the instence of archaeologists), the new fish market is a definite improvement. There was a stage and speakers going up outside whilst we hesitantly entered a new market full of local VIPs to buy some very nice trout for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you post some photos of the new fish market?

      Delete
  5. I'm completely with you, B to B. Why would a tourist who has presumably come to Turkey to see something different, want to be in a place they could go to at home and buy the same stuff, too? BTW, I got a surprise smooch the other day by one of our candidates for mayor of the islands, and I can't even vote. It must be campaign season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 3 weeks to go ! Enjoy your smooch - you won't see another for 5 years

      Delete
  6. . . if anything needs a make-over and removal of 'obstructions' its bloody politicians and their bloody loudspeaker vans/buses! Bulent Ecevit was probably the only truly honest politician that Turkey has had in recent history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No turning back the tide, I'm afraid to say. Even Canute couldn't do that. I don't envy you the marching tunes and cavalcades. What a bleedin' racket! We remember them well. The video is hysterical. Takes me back to my Village People youth. Who knew macho men could be so camp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to search out some more 70s movies I think

      Delete
  8. Hope your elections aren't as chaotic as the Costa Rican ones Helen has blogged about.....J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like all this change. We'll soon have a Turkey with no character. And I will be glad when the elections are out of the way. I'm sick to death of it all. We got our voting slips yesterday, and if I had a choice I wouldn't bother to vote..I have taken no interest in any of our candidates to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have to go and collect my voting slip - you are honoured

      Delete
  10. I do miss the character, quaintness too, such a shame if they "tidy" that way, that's what makes a place special. Thoughts with you all at home, en hayirlisi insallah..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Equal footing with Costa Rica makes my eyes boggle.....but I do believe you! Like Helen, I too prefer things a bit muddly. It's still quite muddly here....Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a romantic at heart. I much prefer the old muddle to the new glossiness.

    ReplyDelete