Wednesday 30 July 2014

Vegetable Spaghetti


.

I'm not keen on kitchen gadgets as there is not much you can't do with a set of sharp sharp knives, a sturdy mixer and blender, but I had great fun yesterday with a "Spiralo"
My daughter has been told to cut down on carbohydrates, a hard task for a working girl keen on pasta, so I bought this contraption for her.  Before I cart it back to Turkey, I thought I should give it a go. It is a multipurpose slicer, but it can very cleverly turn vegetables into long strings of "spaghetti".
I made a simple tomato sauce with 2 skinned beef tomatoes, 3 cloves of garlic, half a leek, and a glug of olive oil. Two courgettes were turned into strings in seconds, and could probably have been eaten raw, but I steamed them for 3 minutes to heat them up and soften them slightly.  A handful of grated cheese and a few basil leaves topped off the dish.  It was very satisfyiing to be able to twirl the courgette spaghetti on the fork, and with a meat sauce, would be an even tastier low carb dinner. 
I think I might have to buy another one for my kitchen. 




11 comments:

  1. . . talking of 'glugs of olive oil' had confirmation from Harvard that there are no reports of blue slugs from Sweden. If you have any contacts we can talk to over there it would be very helpful. Love gadgets, by the way, total sucker for them in any form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks and sounds like an incredibly useful gadget, B2B! I try to keep my carb intake down as it doesn't do me any good - this really looks like a perfect alternative to the pasta sort of spaghetti and I bet it's rather good fun to use too! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it..and intend searching one out immediately

    ReplyDelete
  4. B to B, Years ago, (50 or so) there used to be a guy on TV who would sell gadgets like this - 'It slices, it dices, chops, minces - hey, ladies, have you ever seen such great julienned carrots?' Thanks for the memories and happy low-carb cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one great gadget. I bought one a year or two ago and use it for the courgette spaghetti or carrot hair for the small one to nibble as a snack. I should get more adventurous- potato, apple....?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn carbs. Don't know about availability, but you might want to check out the "spirelli" from Gefu (?). It has the same principle but works and looks like a pencil sharpener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is neat - a great gadget for warm summer days here too, I'll look out for it. Istanbul'dan selamlar, Ozlem

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good idea and the vegetable spaghetti looks great. Not sure DH would consider courgettes a substitute for pasta, but I could try...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that's clever!! I like the look of this one! Can we get it here?

    ReplyDelete