Friday 26 August 2016

Stretched

  
I haven't completely given in to sloth during these hot months, I am still paying twice weekly visits to The Pilates Studio in Avenue Bodrum to be stretched out on the rack  reformer machine.  I am a late convert to Pilates, having assumed that regular yoga would be enough to keep me fit, I looked from afar and decided that Pilates was just expensive yoga.  I am happy to admit that I was wrong. While yoga is great for keeping supple, working out on the reformer machine tweaks each muscle in the body just enough to strengthen muscles, improve posture and pull in the saggy bits that ageing lets hang loose.  My balance is definitely better than it was and I've got my shock absorbers back. 


Teacher Sevinç showing how it should be done


Experts Rachel and Michael before the big mat work out
Last month we were booked up to have a mat session with Michael King - roving legend of the Pilates World: ex-Pineapple studios in London, Houston Ballet Company and founder of The Pilates Institute UK ( *see his web page for the full story) but being just a few days after the attempted coup we had little expectation that the session would go ahead.  Silly us - this man has trained Madonna - a piffling armed uprising is nothing compared to a one to one with scary Madge and Michael was on the phone saying he would come by ferry if the airports were closed (they weren't) and we got our hour with trainer to the stars.  If he comes to your town I recommend you sign up too - even my little fingers felt the benefit. 

Michael and Madonna me 

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous post and you lucky things in Bodrum!! Loved your post, keep it up with the reformer - I did that for a while and it was brilliant, pilates works. Cok sevgilerimle, Ozlem xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is dedication. I have heard great things about Pilates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard too but didn't do anything about it. I'm glad I finally got around to trying it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Don't mock ! or else I'll take you along too

      Delete
  4. Great - is he British or American? Most Americans that I know would never travel to Turkey, they always sent me warnings on my blog when I travel to Turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. . . don't know about this Pilates stuff - I'm a devotee of RockRolling myself, especially as I can do it in the privacy of my own garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. There are lots of Pilates studios in Bodrum

      Delete
  7. Way too late for my saggy bits :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. B to B, Must say that machine does look a bit like the rack, maşallah. You're more gorgeous than that nasty Madonna any day.

    ReplyDelete