Friday 5 August 2016

One advantage of living in Turkey - Dying is easier.



It's been just over a month since my husband's funeral and less than two years since my father's, so I feel I'm in a position to compare Turkey with the UK.
It seemed to take ages to arrange my Dad's cremation; we had 2 visits from the undertaker and then from the celebrant.  My mother and I drove around looking for a venue to hold the post funeral get-together and then there were dates and menus to decide on, music to choose and speeches to write and finally a 4 figure bill to pay.
It's completely different here and speaking as the shell-shocked spouse, much easier.  The above advert for the Municipality Funeral Service says it all - ACI GÜNLERİNİZDE YANINDAYIZ  - WE ARE BESIDE YOU ON YOUR SAD DAYS.  All that was required from me was a visit to the above office with the death certificate, although it could have also been done by phone. I told them the day, time, mosque and graveyard and they did the rest.  A van appeared at the house with lots of stools for visitors, which was useful as folk started turning up at the house three hours before the funeral;  an announcement had been made in both Bodrum and the surrounding villages so everyone heard the news.  The grave was prepared and the hearse arrived at the required time at the mosque. After the burial we all moved back to our house and another van delivered lahmacun with ayran to drink, to serve a hundred. And the cost of this service - nothing.
Completely different experiences but when one's existence has been turned upside down, there is comfort that others are working to make life easier for the those remaining, without an eye on making a profit.


Lahmacun is a spicy meat thin-based pizza, and ayran is a yogurt based drink. 

23 comments:

  1. At a time of great distress the process in Turkey does sound so much more civilised and caring, and it is amazing that it is also done without incurring any costs to those concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and I am sure it is so much easier for the bereaved not to have to wait sometimes a matter of weeks for a funeral (as I have experienced in the UK). The length of time makes it so much harder for people to start the grieving process. And the expense can make it very difficult for many families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The support of the whole village is comforting too.

      Delete
  3. 'Life after death' actually has some meaning in this country. J and I are already catered for by the family of our 'adopted' son. We will be taken care of and buried in the family plot. We are part of a close-knit village community/family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teo chose a plot a few years ago so I have my space too.

      Delete
  4. It must have been a great relief. One thing less to worry about. Hope you're both doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it certainly is Jack, and we are both in damn fine fettle. And thank you!

      Delete
  5. As someone who officiated at funerals for years, I'm very impressed by the speed and efficiency of the Turkish system and by the fact there is no cost to the family. I know that in France the funeral has to happen within a week and I just wish it was possible to speed things up in the UK for the sake of the families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not sure why it takes so long in the UK

      Delete
  6. That is an amazing service.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know that funerals in Turkey cost nothing to the family. Do taxes pay for them? That sounds quick and efficient and not much to stress about. Bless you and I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a sensitive stress free service on offer there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. B to B, I've heard the same thing from the Istanbul Mudurluğu and the caretaker of our cemeteries here on the island. Quite remarkable. And, the caretaker told me, they give you a tapu for the grave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't got a tapu yet - doubt we get them here

      Delete
  10. My goodness, that really is impressive. I posted about Spanish customs which I found very difficult to manage because there's such a rush, so many people, so little time to do anything decent somehow. I can imagine how much a service like this would have helped the process. It's good to keep hearing from you and I send lots of hugs. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - if you add a name I will know who you are, but thanks for the sentiment.

      Delete
  12. I did not know this either. Impressed again by the Turks. Surprised that it is free. In Alabama cost for a funeral can range from $3000 - $15,000+. Glad you had this available to you Annie. Hope you are coping during this sad and lonely time.

    ReplyDelete