Monday 18 December 2017

Countdown to Christmas

 The decorations have been up for over a week, a few presents are waiting to be wrapped and I have finally made a Christmas pudding. I missed stir-up Sunday by a long stretch but the pudding production hit a snag earlier this month. I got all the ingredients together, sacrificed some very good brandy to soak the dried fruit and had everything in a large glass bowl for the final stir when a moment's distraction had the bowl spinning in mid air then shattering into a thousand pieces on the kitchen floor.  It took me a while to get over the disappointment enough to be able to start again from scratch.

Christmas/Noel/New Year fairs are in full swing - I'm limiting myself to one a week and will pick up a few tasty goodies at the Gümbet Christmas sale on Saturday. It seems silly to make my own mince pies when there are so many delicious homemade ones on offer now. I have avoided shopping malls this year and can happily report that I haven't heard one Christmas song - I'm beginning to crave some Slade and Wizard to get me into the Xmas mood - but the search for a turkey and cranberries will begin mid week and then it will really begin to feel Christmassy.


Bodrum Spor had an early Christmas present this week. After a poor showing in their first season in the second league, they finally managed to grab 3 points from an away win which will hopefully give them confidence to avoid relegation back to the third league when the season starts in the new year.  I'm not a football fan but good luck to them. 

15 comments:

  1. Been following the trials and tribulations of Bodrumspor along with very similar trials and tribulations for Fethiyespor! ;) Hopefully a better 2018 for both teams.
    We were organised with brandy this year and got my dad to bring some over in October. The VERY boozy mincemeat is made and awaiting its pastry cases and Barry made a lovely chicken liver brandy pate...that we've eaten. ;) Even had sprouts for lunch today. Gonna be all Christmassed out soon! ;) Have a great Christmas build-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a big Bodrum Spor disaster if they only stayed up for one season.

      Delete
  2. I'm just decorating our tree now while listening to Carol's from Kings College Cambridge... I should also avoid shopping malls. Last week while in Izmir I tripped over a swathe of cables that had been laid across a footpath for the Christmas/New Yeear lights. I went flying but luckily no broken bones ... probably down to my extra winter padding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily you didn't get lit up like Xmas lights when you tripped over the cables

      Delete
  3. Slade and Wizard...my cravings too, Annie!! Happy Christmas to you. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Annie, so good to return to reading blogs and to come to yours, which always help me appreciate the Oneness of all of us no matter where we live on this planet we call Earth. I've never had one of those English Christmas puddings. I think I need to go to Goggle and see if I can find a recipe. Is the brandy essential? I'm allergic to alcohol but I so love fruitcakes jammed packed with glazed cherries and currants and all the wonderful fruit. That's how I think of the English pudding, but I may be all wrong about that. I hope you have a lovely Christmas filled with the love of family and friends and . . . your dog! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you again Dee. Very few people actually like Christmas pudding but we keep making it because that it what we do.

      Delete
  5. Looks all so lovely; enjoy this time of the year; my best wishes for a relaxing holiday season with plenty good food in good company, cok sevgilerimle, Ozlem xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been such an upset when all of your lovely fruit and brandy ended up on the floor. Hope that you enjoy the replacement one, and that you have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. B to B, Mince pies are so yummy, glad you're giving it a second try. Happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second pudding is now safe in the fridge.

      Delete