Friday 11 October 2024

A slight let down (and a difficult get down)

I've been looking forward to visiting the museum at Troy for a while. We had planned to go in 2020 but we all know what happened to plans that year. This month I got there. The imposing rust coloured cube sticks out from the surrounding countryside declaring its presence and the ramp decending to the concrete encased basement floor promises a very modern experience BUT I was a bit dissapointed. For a brand new museum, designed for a specific purpose, I felt it was a bit 'last century.' Inspiring architecture isn't enough to make a good museum these days, the exhibits need to be displayed in a way that inspire and educate. And a few interactive elements are always welcome after walking from glass case to glass case. Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe I've seen too many museums. Other people seem to rave about it.
I wonder who designed the above exhibit. Pictures of "Lost Heritage": Trojan treasures on display in other countries. A good idea but only for the agile. I just about managed to bend down far enough to look through the bottom tubes but it wasn't a comfortable viewing position. I wonder what pecentage of visitors actually bother to look at all. I'm sure someone, somewhere thinks it a good idea and I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it.

8 comments:

  1. We went a couple of years ago, it was OK but both felt it could have been a lot better. It felt "unfinished" or that things were left out? We were expecting a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Tina, there wasn't enough explanation

      Delete
  2. I liked the design of the building very much (walking around i.s.o. stairs). you are right it looks a bit ‘clean’ not very exciting, but I think it is a good museum setup for the hords of people that come to see it once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right Lenny. The guides were rushing their clients through very fast.

      Delete
  3. That particular exhibit would frustrate me.....bending is not my strong point. What would be the idea behind that arrangement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone involved with the set up will tell us.

      Delete
  4. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Annie, but the, 'Lost Heritage' exhibit certainly looks challenging for the less agile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I name checked the museum in this post - I wonder if we will get a reply

    ReplyDelete