Sunday 20 October 2024

Under the Plane Tree - Tea

In many towns in the Mediterranean it's common to see signs outside restaurants advertising that their bread and pizzas are cooked in a wood-fired oven, but I've never seen a sign for wood-fired tea before.
It didn't taste any different to 'normal' Turkish tea but the apparatus brewing it was impressive and the setting picturesque. Today I was at an annual faire/village market organised by the Bodrum Rotary Club in the neighbouring village of Etrim. It's a tiny affair held under an impressive plane tree, selling mostly food but also some homemade jewellery, clothes and baskets. I wouldn't travel far to visit but there seemed to be many more cars parked around than people and I'm wondering if there was something going on elsewhere that I missed.
The clouds parted, the sun came out, the band started to play and a few folk danced in the dappled shade. I was happy to sit and watch while I drank my wood-fired tea and ate an apple turnover, a nod towards Apple Day which is 21st October. The Archers are celebrating Apple Day today and I did my bit too.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon ... especially now the weather is pleasnatly cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit chilly until the sun came out.

      Delete
  2. Imagine setting up that to brew tea at the W.I.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fabulous! I don’t think I knew the Rotary Club existed in Türkiye.

    ReplyDelete