Saturday 8 September 2018

A local foreigner



I had a conversation with a young woman yesterday which reminded me why I like living in Bodrum. I shall translate it as best I can into English.  We had been chatting for a bit when she said,
"Are you normally a foreigner?"
The word "normally" threw me and I dithered over the answer, so she helped me out,
"I mean, when you are not speaking Turkish, are you a foreigner?"
So I told her that I had been born in England but moved to Turkey many years ago.
"How many years?" She wanted to know.
A second of mental arithmetic and I came up with the number 36.
"Wow " she said "I am 22 so that's 14 years longer than me, so you are normally a Türk and only  sometimes a foreigner."

I thank her for her confidence but I will always be a foreigner and it is a very pleasant place to be.  The Turkish word 'yabancı' defines someone from outside. It could be outside your village, your town or your country. I have been very fortunate as 'an outsider ' in Bodrum and have always been treated very kindly. In the early days it was embarrassing to be a yabancı as we were always ushered to the front of queues or found a chair to sit on while others were standing. Refusing to comply caused more fuss so we gave in and accepted.  The influx of foreign tourists in the late 1980s put pay to that thank goodness. I've heard myself described as a 'Yerli Yabancı' - a 'local outsider' or 'Bizim Yabancı' 'our foreigner', so if I'm ever faced with the question again I will reply that I'm a 'local foreigner' and happy to be so.


16 comments:

  1. How nice to be called Bizim Yabanci.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super idea..to be a local foreigner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people - of all ages - still give their seats up for foreigners on the dolmuş. As you said, protesting is often futile and causes more of a scene. We still do protest occasionally, though. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. . . my personal favorite is 'Yarım Türk' - Half Turk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous title. Wear it with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a lovely passionate Bodrum lover : ) Bodrum sevdalisi yani : ) beautiful post; can't wait to see you end Oct in Bodrum, cok sevgiler, Ozlem xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice concept. It made me think of (and miss) all of the special kindnesses we get from our neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely, affectionate term ...

    ReplyDelete