Wednesday 5 September 2018

In praise of Gözleme



Gülsüm on her home ground. Try her gözleme at Bodrum's Friday market.

Looks like a pancake but contains no eggs or milk, the ubiquitous Gözleme is a one of the best snacks to eat while traveling around Turkey.  



This cheese and potato titbit set me back nine and a half lira with the lemonade and I took half home to eat later. I can't think of many places where less than two dollars or just over a pound will get you this much tasty food.

The whole family was involved at the Karaova Festival to keep up with the demand

To make Gözleme you need a large flat surface to roll out the simple flatbread mixture of flour, salt and water and a long thin rolling pin to achieve a paper thin circle of dough. 


This is then spread usually with herbs and cheese or potato and cheese and flipped over on itself as it is cooked on a metal skillet made specially for the job. A wash of butter or oil allows the dough to brown.  You know it's cooked when it stats to gözleme - brown eyes appear on the cooked surface. 




14 comments:

  1. Next time I visit Turkey Gözleme will be on the menu, especially one filled with herbs and cheese - it looks so tasty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just the best! :) Kıymalı patatesli for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you but mince is not my first choice in anything

      Delete
  3. Mmmm...I miss gözleme! Sounds like the festival had another successful year. Maybe I can try to attend next year? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree ... I love gözleme ... especially the potato one ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think anyone can resist gözleme. We're lucky we have a gal with a doctorate in making them here on our island. Potatoes with herbs, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, and thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. This bread with its potato and cheese filling sounds delicious. I suspect that I'll never be in Turkey as traveling "overseas" is not on the agenda for me, but I'm wondering if I could maybe do something like this myself. I'm going to try! Thanks for sharing. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a recipe in Özlem's blog and book - see right of this page. Let me know if you do make them

      Delete