Wednesday 4 September 2024

You don't have to be a millionaire

If you believe all you read on Facebook and in glossy magazines, Bodrum is: 1.Overcrowded 2.Empty 3.Awash with beautiful young influencers drinking gold flecked cocktails 4.TOO EXPENSIVE 5.Only visited by tourists who never venture out of their All Inclusive hotels. I'll give you "Crowded", but what holiday resort isn't in high season. "Empty" - really? If a restaurant is empty there is usually a good reason why. I can't comment on the cocktaileratti as I don't have the clothes (or the figure) to mix in those circles but I can address the last two points. On Sunday I had supper at the Dinç Hotel on the Kumbahçe beachfront in Central Bodrum. A football shirt gave an excuse to start chatting to the family of 4 on the next table as Liverpool had just trounced Manchester United and I felt congratulations were in order. These Liverpool supporters were staying in an All Inclusive hotel about 10 kms outside Bodrum. They had picked the hotel for its child friendly facilities but prefered to eat in Bodrum because they liked food more varied than the hotel buffet and they didn't think it was expensive to eat out. Similar meals in Stoke on Trent, their home town, would be twice the price and they cetainly wouldn't be dining on a beach with a golden sun sinking behind a Crusader castle. Our own meal of a starter, two substantial main courses and fruit with 2 lemon sodas came in at 1,150 TL or 26 Pounds/32 Euros. No alcohol as Guinness had been drunk earlier at 190 or 4.30 pounds for 50 cl. This amount is more than we would have paid last year and is a challenge when living on a fixed TL income but it should not discourage visitors who would be hard pressed to find these prices for a similar venue in their home country. Our new friends said that they would be back again next year and I got up from the table encouraged that Bodrum is still an affordable holiday option for young families despite Facebook warriors telling me that tourists have or will abandon us.

16 comments:

  1. Perfectly put ... but being a Manchester United supporter I was a little disappointed at the result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Lovely to see your name again - Annie

      Delete
  3. I’ve heard many positive comments about Dinç so I think I’ll have to try it. Very topical first post - I’m looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect setting and reliable

      Delete
  4. be really good to have you to look forward to again - as for my ramblings, the size of our carrots and shallots would soon pale - life is very quiet up here in the mountains by the lake although I did go and buy some shirts today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on Alan - we miss you Annie

      Delete
  5. For research purposes you understand … a beer and a coke cost us
    £5 in Kaş (Turkey)
    £6.20 in Kavala (Greece)
    £8.00 back home (Shrewsbury)
    Will let you know about Albania when we get there.

    Prices for food and drink were reasonable in Turkey and a good quality meal is guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath - proves the point Annie

      Delete
  6. As Helen says, those prices look very reasonable, especially given how much food prices have risen generally. It's not easy to see a place you know and love being misrepresented. Bodrum always sounds lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Kathy, but only the really expensive places get shouted about Annie

      Delete
  7. People love to complain don't they. It's never going to be as expensive as the UK and here, we rarely get to sit in beautiful weather, with beautiful views at dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be an agenda Kym. Annie

      Delete
  8. I just love that photo! Priceless. Lovely to be reading you again, Annie. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also anonymous until I can sort myself out. Annie

      Delete
  9. Last time we were in Dinç it would be with the late Poncho from the Argentinian steak house.God rest him
    Tony & Mo

    ReplyDelete